You need to find the best running shoes for metatarsalgia if you want to overcome this deplorable dis-ease. Yes, I will call it dis-ease and not disease, because I know exactly how your foot feels like at the moment. While you may think that you can run effectively, you have a greater chance of intensifying the pain. If left untreated, you won’t be able to continue your running or sports activities.
Finding the right pair of shoes for metatarsalgia can provide enough support to your feet to relieve your pain. Here we have reviewed 11 pairs of shoes for you. We find that Brooks Ghost 12 (For Women) and KUBUA Running Shoes (For Men) are the considerate choices for you given the circumstances that you are facing. However, read the full article and see which one suits your condition well.
In this article, we will examine the following best shoes for metatarsalgia.
Table Of Contents
- 1 Best Running Shoes For Metatarsalgia (For Men and Women)
- 1.1 Brooks Ghost 12
- 1.2 Torin 4 Plush Road
- 1.3 Hoka One One Bondi
- 1.4 Altra Paradigm 4 (Best Running Shoes For Metatarsalgia)
- 1.5 Brooks Glycerin 17 Cushioned
- 1.6 Saucony Kinvara 11
- 1.7 ASICS Men’s/Women’s 33-M-M
- 1.8 ASICS Gel-Venture 7
- 1.9 Saucony Guide 7
- 1.10 KUBUA Running Shoes
- 1.11 Brooks Adrenaline GTS 20
- 2 Buying Guide: Comprehensive Guide To Tackle Metatarsalgia
- 3 Final Verdict!
Best Running Shoes For Metatarsalgia (For Men and Women)
- These shoes are for neutral runners looking for lightweight shoes for a smooth ride without sacrificing cushioning. The neutral support type offers high energizing cushioning that is ideal for long road running, gym activities, or whatever you want.
- BioMoGo DNA and DNA LOFT cushioning combine to provide a balanced cushioning and just correct underfoot softness without losing durability and responsiveness. It feels very light.
- The newly designed mesh and 3D Fit Print nearly disappears on your foot with placed stretch and structure. The Segmented Crash Pad will cushion every step of your ride with a smooth heel to toe transitions. Meaning, your running experience will enhance considerably.
- Sized by 10 x 15 x 6 inches
- Weighs by 294.8g
- The midsole drop is 12mm.
- Women’s shoes available in 28 designs
- Men’s shoes available in 15 designs
- Women’s shoe size available from 0 to 12 Wide
- Men’s shoe size chart ranges from 7 to 15 X-wide.
- Contains Rubber Sole
- Torin 4 Plush is the comfiest and plush ride available. Featuring a responsive and comfortable Quantic midsole, a high-quality Strobel layer, and a new Perf-X insole gives a tremendous underfoot experience
- The comfortable knit upper, the incredible InnerFlex integrated midsole, and decoupled outsole make your foot move freely and naturally.
- These are very comfortable shoes that can remove your foot aches and pains in minimal time. Wearing these shoes, you will feel like walking on pillows. If you are looking for a cushioned plush version, Altra Torin 4 Plush is what you are looking for.
- These shoes offer excellent arch support, sound design, and construction and quite long laces that can give enough support around your midfoot while permitting natural toe-off. These are the fantastic feel, and awesome fit shoes in a medium ranged price.
- Available in three colors
- Stack Height is 28 mm.
- Available in sizes ranging from 7 to 16
- Weighs by 286 g
- Hoka Bondi Running Shoes are perfect for uneven terrains. They offer amazing comfort and enough grip to run on hard surfaces. Hoka Bondi 5 version is amongst the most cushioned HOKA ONE ONE shoes for trails.
- Breathable Mesh Upper, improved tip, arch support, and compression properties make it perfect for long runs and recovery runs. The stack height of 33mm in the toe and 37mm in the heel makes a thick layer of cushioning so you can feel extra softness while running.
- The shoe made with early-stage leading meta rocker technology. One significant thing about the shoe is its redesigned upper made of engineering mesh. What makes it stand out amongst other Hoka versions is its flexibility and smoothness.
- Rubber sole
- Available in 4 different colors for men
- Sizes range from 9 to 11.5 for men
- Sized by 16 x 7 x 5 inches
- Breathable Mesh Upper
- 3D Puff Print Frame
- Ortholite Insole
- EVA Midsole
Altra Paradigm 4 (Best Running Shoes For Metatarsalgia)
- Altra Paradigm 4 gives the highest amount of cushion and the highest level of the Altra neutral line. For runners, it offers plush, ultra-ride who want to run high miles and keep the zero-drop running lifestyle.
- One fantastic thing about these shoes is that they feel large on foot; however, they are still very lightweight and do not feel any extra cushion.
- Paradigm durable material and a significant amount of Ego midsole compound (31 mm) are responsible for high energy return. The upper is breathable, and foot design is beautiful.
- The knit upper contains material that is well ventilated and allows air to enter while keeping dirt particles out quickly. Moreover, they use Guide Rails on the top of midsole and StabiliPod on the outside of the sole unit to increase stability.
- Available in sizes 5.5 to 7.5 for women
- Available in sizes 7 to 8 for men
- Available in two colors for men and three shades for women
- Rubber sole
- High cushioning
- Stack height of 30mm
- Altra Ego Midsole
- StabiliPod support features
- Bunion window
- Weighs by 261 g
- Women’s shoes sized by 12 x 7.5 x 4.4 inches
- Men’s shoes sized by 15 x 9 x 6 inches.
- This shoe is perfect for neutral runners who want softness and cushioning. People who love a lot of cushions but never loved the style will find both things in these shoes. The super-soft DNA LOFT cushioning provides a soft underfoot feeling without losing durability or responsiveness.
- The OrthoLite sock liner used offers premium step-in comfort. The perfect plush and smooth feel of interior bootie surrounds your foot and expands and move with your walk. The engineer made 3D Fit Print technology, and mesh upper increases the fit.
- The actual size and stretchy shoelaces make you love these shoes. Runners who are suffering from metatarsalgia, Brooks Women’s glycerin Cushioned Road Running shoes are an excellent choice for them.
- Gum Rubber and synthetic sole
- The midsole drop is 10mm.
- Women’s shoes weigh by 260.8g.
- Men’s shoes weigh by 300.5g.
- Women’s shoes sized by 10.7 x 6.7 x 4.4 inches.
- Men shoes sized by 11.9 x 7.1 x 4.6 inches.
- Women’s shoe sizes range from 1 to 12 Wide.
- Men’s shoe sizes range from 5 to 15 Wide.
- Women’s shoes are available in 9 different colors.
- Men’s shoes are available in 8 different colors.
- Kinvara 11 offers a comfortable midfoot fit and provides advantages of a 4mm heel to toe offset. The shallow ridges in the outer sole do not pick any rocks or road debris pieces.
- These are ideal for long runs, tempos, and thresholds. Kinvara 11 maintains the balance between comfort and performance. This version is even lighter and more responsive than older versions due to newly engineered midsole foam technology.
- These shoes feel nimble, lightweight, and peppy. The PWRRUN foam sole in Kinvara 11 keeps the balance between thin cushion and responsiveness. To keep shoe weight down, the outsole of shoes contains very less injection-blown rubber.
- The perfect Kinvara 11 upper is comfortable and soft. With engineered woven mesh and very minimal printed overlays, the top moves naturally with every run.
- Synthetic and mesh sole
- Weighs by 233g
- Offset of 4mm
- Women pairs sized by 11.2 x 7.3 x 4.3 inches
- Men pairs sized by 10.6 x 6.7 x 4.1 inches
- Sizes for women range from 5 to 12
- Size for men range from 7 to 15 Wide
- Seven different colors for women
- Four different colors for Men
- If you have metatarsalgia disease or any foot injuries, a pair of ASICS shoes can help you. These are very comfortable and cushion.
- These shoes have outstanding breathability and offer long runs. They fit perfectly on your shoe. The full toe box, snug heel, and the cushion are all perfect.
- The exterior of the shoes is also very comfortable and pleasant. Very cushy shoes at a very reasonable price.
- Available in two sizes 9 and 9.5
- Two different color designs are available.
- Sized by 11 x 4 x 7 inches
- Contain rubber sole
- ComforDry sock liner
- Unisex design
- ComforDry sock liner
- Solyte lightweight midsole
- DuraSponge outsole with AHAR+ traction
- Gel-Venture 7 is the lightweight trail shoes with moderate cushioning. These shoes are also suitable for casual running, not necessarily trail running.
- Trail runners should check for shoes with the best sole, and this is what they are paying extra for. ASICS places a tread pattern on the outsole of shoes, which ensures rear and forward motion grip is maximum.
- Moreover, tread patterns are well placed on top of a thick layer of rubber that reduces the chances of “poke risks” where sharp rocks or sticks will not enter due to outsole. The above outsole is a sturdy EVA midsole that provides consistent support at a reasonable weight.
- A well-cushioned heel counter surrounds the heel. Inside the shoe, you will see that the top of the heel contains a thick foam, and it gradually disappears at the bottom heel. It ensures to keep your foot well positioned in the shoe and provides an excellent fit.
- Fabric and synthetic
- Rubber sole
- Sized by 10 x 15 x 6 inches
- Weighing by 318g
- Heel to toe drop is 12mm.
- Women’s shoes available in 16 different designs
- Men’s shoes available in 13 different designs
- Women’s shoe size ranges from 5 to 12 Wide.
- Men’s shoe size ranges from 7 to 15 X-Wide.
- Saucony Guide 7 is the new version of Saucony. It is well tested and engineered to make it a better shoe. It offers great comfort, durability, and cushioning to daily runners who make them an ultimate partner.
- Saucony has focused on changing the material of the Sole Unit. It switched from the ProGrid cushioning system to Power Grid 7, which is lighter and more durable. This change does not affect the overall shoe weight, but it gave more responsiveness to midfoot and forefront.
- One more thing that Saucony focused on is the toe box. As the toe box in Guide 6 was not comfortable, Saucony resolved it in this version. Guide 7 has a full toe box, which is undoubtedly more accommodating.
- Saucony Guide 7 is the go-to shoes that come with a substantial list of features. The shoe is the best for runners who want a perfect combination of comfort, support, and durability.
- Sizes range from 9.5 to 13
- Available in 3 different layouts
- Weighs by 10 oz
- Rubber sole
- XT-900 carbon rubber outsole
- ComfortLite sockliner
- Dual-density SSL EVA foam midsole
- HRC+ Strobel board
- PowerGrid full-length cushioning
- SRC impact zone
- Durable iBR+ midfoot outsole pods
- KUBUA Running shoes are perfect for work and weekend workout. The upper consists of mesh material that is durable and provides breathability and flexibility.
- The slip-resistant outsole contains rubber, which promises to provide cushioning, anti-slip, ant-twist, and abrasion-resistant performance.
- Moreover, these shoes make are a perfect combination for any sport or casual event such as informal parties, walking, running, indoor sports, outdoor activities, exercise, travel workout, or any other occasion.
- Rubber Sole
- Available in 6 different designs
- Women’s shoe sizes range from 5.5 to 14 W-Wide.
- Men’s shoe sizes range from 4.5 to 13 X-Wide.
- Brooks Adrenaline GTS 20 Running Shoe
- Platform measures approximately 1.00.”
- Approximately 18 Shaft from arch
Brooks Adrenaline GTS 20 Running Shoe is for those who want a perfect combination of support, reliability, cushion, and flexibility. The up to date elegant design satisfies runners who wish to a low-profile look.
These shoes provide actual support and stability. These are great for road running, cross-training, gym, or wherever you want to wear them. They will offer a high energizing cushioning while keeping you stable.
The DNA LOFT Crash Pad works with BioMogo DNA to make your every stride smooth. The new streamlined mesh upper works with 3D Fit Print that offers the proven fit.
The heel is stable that it does not slip. The robust internal counter and the padded collar keeps it locked in, whereas the front and rear show reflectivity. There are peace and a shiny trip over the heel.
- Rubber Sole
- Product dimensions are 0.39 x 0.39 x 0.39 inches
- Weighs by 300.5 g
- Women’s shoes available in 20 different designs
- Men’s shoes available in 20 different designs
- Women’s shoe sizes range from 0 to 13 W-Wide.
- Men’s shoe sizes range from 7 to 15 X-Wide.
Buying Guide: Comprehensive Guide To Tackle Metatarsalgia
What is Metatarsalgia?
Metatarsalgia means inflammation and pain in the ball of the foot. You feel uncomfortable between arches and toes of the foot. Metatarsalgia lies under five metatarsal bones in the middle of the feet. It is common in people who involve in running and jumping activities.
It mostly happens due to the overuse injuries in sports that include running and jumping. Some other conditions can also cause Metatarsalgia, such as wearing shoes that do not fit, arthritis, or foot abnormalities.
What Are the Fundamental Causes of Metatarsalgia?
The leading cause of metatarsalgia is the involvement in sports activities that put pressure on your metatarsal bones. This happens due to the overuse of the area. You are running, such as can put constant pressure on the ball of the foot. The abnormal burden on your foot results in painful inflammation in metatarsal bones. There are other causes as well,
Inappropriate shoes: Wearing high heels that put extra pressure on the front area of your foot is the common cause of metatarsalgia in women. Shoes with lacking padding, narrow toe box, or less support can also cause metatarsalgia.
Foot deformities: Certain foot abnormalities such as high arches, calluses on the lowest part of your foot, hammertoe, bunions, and the second toe is larger than your big toe are some factors that can cause metatarsalgia in your foot.
Heavyweight: As you move, most of your body weight transfers to the front of your toe. Excess weight means more pressure on your metatarsal bones.
Morton’s neuroma: The noncancerous growth of fibrous tissue about a nerve mostly occurs between heads of the third and fourth metatarsal. This condition can contribute metatarsalgia and can also cause metatarsal stress.
Symptoms of Metatarsalgia
The primary symptom of metatarsalgia is the pain in the ball of your foot. Along with pain, you may notice inflammation and bruise in your foot. Metatarsalgia pain develops over time. It may decrease if you rest your foot and increase when you involve in walk or exercise activities. Your foot may feel symptoms like:
- You are walking with something hard in your shoe like marble or pebbles.
- You have a massive pain and sharp burning in the ball of your foot.
- Your toes are tingling or numb.
If you notice any of these symptoms, you should consult a doctor. Otherwise, uncured metatarsalgia can cause hammertoes and start pain in other parts of the body as well.
Prevention and Cure of Metatarsalgia?
The cure for metatarsalgia depends on the cause and harshness of your pain. Mostly, conventional measures such as staying off your feet, altering your footwear, using an orthotic pad, or wearing a specially designed metatarsalgia shoe can relieve the pain.
Home treatment of metatarsalgia include:
- Relaxing your foot
- Icing your foot for sometimes a day, usually 20 minutes each time
- Foot elevation after any activity
- Losing weight if excess weight is causing it
- using an over-the-counter pain reducer to relieve pain and inflammation
Moreover, you can also relieve metatarsalgia pain by replacing your shoes with those having excellent support. You should not wear high heels in the situation you feel metatarsalgia symptoms.
If the pain does not relieve, take a break from your exercise activities. Switch your exercise to swimming or cycling, which causes less impact.
If you see a doctor, he may ask you to visit a physical therapist. The therapist will give you a variety of motion exercises that can strengthen your surrounding muscles. The therapist can also correct your gait if required.
Your occupational therapist may also help you with fitting custom orthotics like arch support or a metatarsal pad. The study found that the use of custom-made metatarsal shoes with a metatarsal pad fitted can enhance walking time without pain.
If your symptoms stay after doing conventional measures, you may need to go for surgery to realign your metatarsal bones. The untreated metatarsalgia can make you change your gait, which can affect your other body parts.
What Qualities to Look for in Running Shoes So That Metatarsalgia Does Not Return?
When looking for Metatarsalgia shoes, there are many things to consider. These features depend on your feet and lifestyle. However, the most important thing to look for in boots for metatarsalgia is the extra support and cushioning.
It is better to discuss with an orthopedic specialist to see what shoes you need. Moreover, many stores provide a professional analysis to help you decide which shoes will work better for you.
So, after thorough deliberations, we have come to the conclusion that Brooks Ghost 12 is the best running shoes for metatarsalgia. This shoe contains effective cushioning mechanism that reduces undue stress on tendons and ligaments. Ultimately, it will help you to recover from metatarsalgia and up you game effectively.
Brooks Ghost 12 is closely followed by KUBUA Running Shoes. In fact, we would consider KUBUA equivalent to Brooks Ghost 12. The reason being that its mid-soles are quite comfortable. They absorb the strike effectively, which puts very less stress on your calf and tendon muscles. Ultimately, it enhances your running performance and curbs metatarsalgia.
I hope you liked my review. Please leave a comment and let us know what you think about our topic picks for the best running shoes for metatarsalgia.