New event for tough mudder is approaching. It is your chance to win this time. If you really want to win, then you need the best tough mudder shoes to up your game this time around!
We believe that shoes can either make or break a person. Therefore in this product roundup, we have analyzed, compared, and reviewed 10 best shoes for tough mudder to choose one from according to what you need. So sit back and read along!
Table Of Contents
- 1 Best shoes for tough mudder (for Women)
- 2 Best Tough Mudder Shoes (For Men)
- 4 Our Verdict! (The best shoes for tough mudder)
Best shoes for tough mudder (for Women)
Salomon Women’s X-Mission 3 (Most Resistant)
Salomon Women’s X-Mission 3 Shoes are the top of the line trail shoes. The intense durability and high resistance come from the product’s 100% synthetic material build. Its 3D grip, along with multi-density and multi patterns, makes it easy to wear in all kinds of surfaces and environments.
Providing extra comfort with the midsole is made of moulded EVA, which gives a soft cushion feel, especially on rough surfaces.
Although the brand name speaks for its durability and resistance to ensure you, it provides you with a 2-year warranty.
- Easy to wear on any surface
- Repairable after damage due to warranty
- Synthetic material is one of the most used materials for shoes
- Moulded EVA provides a soft pillow feel which makes the user comfortable wearing the shoes
- Less breathable characteristics due to being 100% synthetic
- Higher price range
Merrell’s All Out Crush (Best shoes for tough mudders)
Merrell women’s all-out crush series are easy to carry and easy to wear. The shoes upper is made of synthetic material which makes it light and comfortable. Along with that, the shoe is durable with its long-lasting TPU film that delays scraping and tearing of the shoe.
During heavy rains, these are your companion. The shoe has multiple water ports to drain out the water in case it gets in, and this way the weight of the water does not slow you down.
Protection is not compromised as it is equipped with a toe cap to keep you from getting any injuries.
- As the shoes are lightweight, they are easy to wear
- Suitable for rainy days and environments due to drainage ports
- Long-lasting as TPU film delays scraping and tearing of shoe
- Not 100% synthetic
- Just one color available
Adidas Women’s Terrex Agravic (Best Overall)
Adidas Women’s Terrex Agravic is your MVP here. The shoe’s outsole is made of continental rubber which provides a sturdy and confident grip in rocky areas. The midsole compliments the outsole providing comfort in areas of rough surfaces.
Providing with extreme comfort, the lining is made of GORE-TEX, which is breathable and cool on feet.
The shoe is made of synthetic materials. The upper of the shoe is abrasion-resistant making it highly durable and damage-resistant in rocky areas.
- Most color choices
- GORE-TEX is breathable and keeps your feet cool
- Suitable for hiking as it has a sturdy grip and midsole is suitable for rocky surfaces
- GORE-TEX shoes usually take longer to dry when wet
Inov-8 F-Lite 230 – Minimalist (Best Key Features)
Inov-8 F-Lite 230 is your go-to shoe if you are looking for versatility. Its flexible design gives it the ability to be used in gyms and training. It allows the foot to move as it is breathable. It also has a toe cap for protection from injuries. The intense graphene grip extends further its durability.
With its 3mm heel drop, the shoe has a barefoot feel.
The design pays attention to detail as each shoe is handmade, giving it a unique touch that you have been looking for.
- The flexible design makes it gyming, training, and weightlifting easy
- The protected toe cap allows the user to workout without worrying about toe injuries
- Breathable feature keeps the feet cool
- Graphene grip helps in a workout, running, and extends the durability
- For some people, low to ground shoes may increase the risk of leg or foot injury
Merrell Women’s Moab 2 (Best Value)
Merrell Women’s Moab 2 Vent, latest in its series, is the best seller shoe for women on Amazon. It is made of 100% mesh which provides breathability during hiking.
The sole is highly durable and stable. It’s perfect for hiking in rough and rocky areas and provides you with a steady grip.
The shoe has an air cushion on its bottom, providing with comfort in rocky areas and gives a pillow feel for the feet.
- #1 in Women’s Hiking Shoes according to Amazon Best Seller’s Rank
- Various colors available
- Mesh is usually not very durable and may fade in some time
Inov-8 Women’s Bare-XF (Budget Option)
Inov-8 Women’s Bare-XF 210 V2 Sneaker range is something that is easy on the wallet, whilst guaranteeing quality that is as good as the rest.
The shoe is extremely easy to wear and fits like a glove. Its flexibility makes it a versatile shoe.
The wide toe box gives the toes plenty of space to spread and prevents excessive sweat.
The shoe makes up for the lack of cushioning by providing power footbeds for underfoot comfort.
- As toes get plenty of space to spread, there is less sweating
- These shoes are suitable for martial arts training and general body movements due to lack of cushioning
- Easy on the wallet
- Lack of cushioning can cause stress on feet with every step.
Best Tough Mudder Shoes (For Men)
Merrell Men’s Trail Glove 5 Sneaker (Best On A Budget)
Merrel’s Trail Glove 5 for men is the newest edition in their glove series. Remaining true to their values and beliefs, Merrel has made this shoe using a vegan-friendly high-quality synthetic material.
The Trail Glove 5 shoe is equipped with Vibram TC5+ rubber sole that ensures comfort and adequate cushioning.
As the name suggests, like its predecessors, the Trail Glove 5 shoe has a barefoot shape with a glove-like fit. This allows for a firmer grip and stability.
- Available in 12 different colours
- Wide and roomy toe-box
- Excellent arch support for runners with higher arches
- Exceptional forefoot grip
- A cheaper option compared to other shoes.
- It isn’t suitable for runners with low-arches and might be uncomfortable.
- The retailer suggests ordering a size or half a size down, as it is a loose shoe and runs large.
Salomon Men’s Speedcross 4 (Best Features)
Solomon Men’s Speedcross 4 Running Trail shoes are a prime example of a shoe with excellent features. Ranging from a quick-lace system to water-resistant upper, this shoe has it all.
It is equipped with 6mm high traction lugs that provider support on wet, slippery and muddy trails. Don’t worry about getting them rusty as the Contragrip outer sole comes with a mudguard to prevent debris build-up.
Speedcross 4 Running Trail shoes have an EVA mid-sole that gives it a strong grip and makes it suitable for use on wet, muddy as well as hard terrains.
- Available in 9 bright colors
- Water-resistant upper and mudguard prevent the shoe from getting wet or dirty.
- Quick and easy to put on because of the toggle lace system
- Durable and good for the obstacle course.
- Exceptional grip
- Best for a run through muddy terrains
- Keep your feet dry
- They have a narrow fit and need to be ordered a size larger than what you’d usually wear.
- Slightly on the expensive side as compared to its counterparts.
Inov-8 Men’s Terraclaw 250 (Most Resistant)
Star Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Inov-8 Men’s Terraclaw 250 Trail Running Shoe has is made up from 100% synthetic material. It is sewn in a unique diagonal design that keeps the upper clean.
The shoe comes with a lightweight toe cap for protection. Whereas, the sole has the compressed EVA cushioning, along with being slightly bendable to provide additional support and grip.
A unique feature that the Inov-8 Men’s Terraclaw 250 Trail Running Shoe has us its triangular lug design and its X Lock “fit”. The former keeps the debris out from the soles, and the latter keeps the foot in place to provide comfort and a strong grip.
- These shoes aren’t super rigid. They are slightly bendable which allows your toes to have a better grip while running.
- The unique design of lugs guarantees resistance to slippage on muddy, wet, and soft trails.
- The soles are durable.
- Roomy toe box.
- The upper is made of breathable material which prevents your feet from getting too hot and sweaty.
- It’s available in only 3 colors.
- Lack of thick cushioning on the sole makes these shoes unstable and painful for running or walking on hard grounds.
- The heel area is too narrow.
- The shoe needs to be bought in half a size larger than what you originally wear for a comfortable fit.
Men’s Charged Assert 8 (Best Overall)
Under Armour Men’s Charged Assert 8 running shoe is the latest addition to their charged series. It is made up of 84% polyester and 16% elastane. The upper is made up of lightweight, breathable mesh, that prevents sweating of the feet when running, and keeps them dry.
Charged cushioned midsole uses moulded foam for even greater responsiveness & durability, providing optimal cushioning & energy return.
The EVA sock liner provides easy step-in comfort. Whereas, the shaft measures approximately low-top from arch. Both of these key features make it suitable for both leisure and athletics.
- Available in more than 13 colors
- Many users appreciated the sleek design of these shoes
- Provide optimum comfort and support
- Suitable for running, gyming as well as daily wear
- True to standard shoe sizes.
- Sole has patterned grooves that provide outstanding grip
- No. 1 product on Amazon’s list of “Running Shoes for Men.”
- Best for spartan race
- Some owners report that they found wear and tear in the soles and uppers after only a couple of uses.
- According to some owners, the back of the shoe irritated the Achilles.
Merrell Men’s Moab Edge (Best Value)
Star Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars
Merrell Men’s Moab Edge Hiking Shoe is, as its name suggest, a perfect shoe for hiking. It comes equipped with EVA soles that stabilize the shoes and give it the ability to maintain a grip on various trails.
The Nylon Arch Shank offers great arch support and grip. Whereas, the 100%breathable mesh upper gives the shoe an excelled water drainage system, whilst also preventing insoles from getting soggy.
The outsole is made with Vibram TC5. Whereas the Merrel Air Cushioning prevents the feet from getting sore and forming blisters.
- Available in 9 fantastic colors
- It’s a versatile shoe. According to many users, not only is it suitable for hiking or running but offers great comfort as daily wear too.
- True-to-size fit
- It has a great water drainage system.
- It provides excellent traction and support on different terrains.
- Some owners were disappointed to find that the shoe started to deteriorate only after a few uses.
- Few users’ heels came out of the shoe whilst running due to the large inlet.
Our Verdict! (The best shoes for tough mudder)
After a thorough analysis, we have compiled this list of the top 10 best mudder shoes for you to choose from.
We have concluded that Under Armour Charged Assert 8 is the best mudder shoe to opt for men. It is lightweight and easy to carry. The sock liner is moulded out of premium quality EVA, which allows you to easily slide your foot in. Not only that, but it also has an adequate amount of cushioning around the midsole and heel area, which makes it perfect for use on rough, hard grounds. If that wasn’t convincing enough, Under Armour Charged Assert 8 comes in 13 different colors and styles for you to choose from. It is also cheaper than its competitors while offering the same if not more appealing features.
On the women’s side, the winner is the Adidas Women’s Terrex Agravic Trail Running Shoe. Everything about this shoe oozes comfort and style. It is lined by Gore-Tex, a synthetic, waterproof, breathable fabric, which makes it all the more suitable for all types of terrains. Other unique features include cushioned mid-soles and out-soles made of rubber, which provides the foot with the necessary comfort as well as a strong grip and traction. The upper of the shoe is abrasion and tear-resistant. The fantastic colors and sleek designs are the cherry-on-top!